ZYTIGA. 250 mg. 120 tablets
ZYTIGA. 250 mg. 120 tablets
What Zytiga and what it is used?
Zytiga contains a medicine called abirateronov acetate. Zytiga stops the production of testosterone in your body . This may slow the growth of prostate cancer . It is used for treating prostate cancer in adult men , which has spread to other parts of the body .
While taking this medication , your doctor will prescribe another medicine called prednisone or prednisolone . They aim to reduce the likelihood of increasing your blood pressure , fluid retention in the body or reduction in the element called potassium in the blood.
2 . What you should know before taking Zytiga?
Do not take Zytiga
- If you are allergic to abirateronov acetate or any of the other ingredients of this medicine (listed in section 6).
- If you are pregnant or could be pregnant. Zytiga is not intended for use by women .
- If you have severe liver damage
Do not take this medicine if any of these apply to you . If you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine.
Warnings and Precautions
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine:
- If you have liver problems
- If you have high blood pressure, heart failure, or low potassium levels in the blood
- If you have other heart or vascular disease
- If you have irregular or rapid heartbeat
- If you have shortness of breath
- If you gain weight quickly
- If you have swelling of the legs , ankles or feet
- If you have taken in the past medicine known as ketoconazole for prostate cancer
- The need to take this medicine with prednisone or prednisolone
- The possible effects on your bones
- If you have elevated blood sugar
If you are not sure if any of the above applies to you, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine.
Zytiga can affect your liver without having any symptoms. While taking this medication , your doctor will test your blood to monitor the possible effects on your liver .
Other medicines and Zytiga
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before taking any medicine.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking , have recently taken or taking other medicines. This is important because Zytiga may enhance the effect of a number of drugs , including cardiovascular medications , tranquilizers , and the like. Your doctor may want to change the dose of these drugs. Also, some medications may intensify or reduce the effect of Zytiga. This can lead to side effects or Zytiga not work as well as it should .
- This medicine should not be taken with food (see section 3 , " How to take Zytiga").
- The adoption of Zytiga with food can cause side effects .
Pregnancy and lactation
Zytiga is not intended for use in women .
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if taken by women who are pregnant and should not be taken by women who are breastfeeding .
- Women who are pregnant or might be pregnant should wear gloves if you have to touch or work with Zytiga.
- If you have sex with a woman who could become pregnant , use a condom and another effective method of birth control . If you have sex with a pregnant woman use a condom to protect the fetus.
Driving and using machines
This medicine should not affect your ability to drive or operate any tools or machines. Zytiga contains lactose and sodium
- Zytiga contains lactose (a sugar ) . If your doctor has told you that you have an intolerance to some sugars , consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
- This drug also contained approximately 27 mg of sodium in a daily dose of four tablets. Be considered by patients on a controlled sodium diet .
May appear to reduce the number of red blood cells , decreased sex drive , muscle weakness and / or muscle pain .
3 . How to take Zytiga?
Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor tells you . If you are not sure, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
How much to take ?
The recommended dose is 1000 mg ( four tablets ) once daily.
Taking this medicine
- Take this medicine by mouth.
- Do not take Zytiga with food.
- Take Zytiga at least two hours after eating and do not eat at least one hour after taking Zytiga ( see section 2 , "Zytiga food " ) .
- Swallow the tablets whole with water.
- Do not break the tablets.
- Zytiga is taken with a medicine called prednisone or prednisolone . Take prednisone or prednisolone , just as you have been told by your doctor.
- You have to take prednisone or prednisolone each day while taking Zytiga.
- You may need a change in the amount of prednisone or prednisolone you take if you have a medical emergency . Your doctor will inform you if you need to change the quantity of your acceptance of prednisone or prednisolone . Do not stop taking prednisone or prednisolone, unless your doctor tells you to.
Your doctor may prescribe other medicines while you are taking Zytiga and prednisone or prednisolone .
Use in children
This medicine should not be used in children and adolescents. If you take more than the amount of Zytiga
If you take more than you should immediately consult your doctor or go to hospital.
If you forget to take Zytiga
- If you forget to take Zytiga or prednisone normal dose the next day.
- If you forget to take Zytiga or prednisone immediately consult your doctor.
If you stop taking Zytiga
Do not stop taking Zytiga or prednisone or prednisolone, unless your doctor has told you.
If you have any further questions on the use of this medicine, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
4 . Possible side effects
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them .
Stop taking Zytiga and see a doctor immediately if you notice any of the following symptoms:
- Muscle weakness , muscle twitching or heartbeat ( palpitations) . These may be signs of low potassium levels in the blood.
Other side effects:
Very common ( may affect more than 1 in 10 people):
- Fluid retention in the legs or feet, low potassium in the blood, high blood pressure, urinary tract infection , diarrhea . Common ( may affect up to 1 in 10 people):
- High level of fat in the blood, elevated liver function tests , chest pain , abnormal heart rhythm , heart failure, fast heartbeat , broken bones , indigestion, blood in urine, rash. Uncommon ( may affect up to 1 in 100 people):
- Problems with the adrenal gland (problems related to salt and water) , muscle weakness and / or muscle pain .
- Loss of bone can occur in men treated for prostate cancer. Zytiga in combination with prednisone or prednisolone can increase bone loss .
If you get any side effects, tell your doctor or pharmacist. This includes all listed in this leaflet .
5 . How to store Zytiga?
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Do not use this medicine after the expiry date stated on the label on the box and bottle. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month.
- Do not store above 30 ° C.
- Do not dispose of medications in wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of medicines no longer required . These measures will help to protect the environment.
6 . Package Contents and more information
What does Zytiga?
- The active ingredient is abirateronov acetate . Each tablet contains 250 mg abirateronov acetate .
- The other ingredients are: microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate , povidone, colloidal anhydrous silica and sodium lauryl sulphate (see section 2 "Zytiga contains lactose and sodium).
Zytiga looks like and contents of the pack ?
- Zytiga tablets are white to off-white, oval shaped and marked "AA250" on one side.
- Zytiga tablets are supplied in a plastic bottle with a child resistant cap. Each bottle contains 120 tablets. Each box contains one bottle.
Marketing Authorisation Holder