TOPILEX 50 mg. 30 tablets
Topilex is a medicine for the treatment of epilepsy.
Topilex used to treat epilepsy in patients in which seizures begin in a limited part of the brain and / or generalized tonic clinical seizures.
Can be used alone or as an adjunct to other antiepileptic drugs.
Topileks also be used for the prevention of frequent episodes of migraine headaches in adults in the case where there is no effect of the earlier treatment with other drugs.
BEFORE YOU TAKE TOPILEX
Do not use Topilex:
- If you are allergic to topiramate or any of the other ingredients of Topileks
- For migraine prevention if you are pregnant or you are a woman of childbearing potential not using an effective contraceptive method.
Take special care with Topilex
- If you have kidney or liver disease. Seek advice to your doctor before starting treatment
- For stays in hot temperature environment, perform physical activity or physical work. In that case, take a sufficient amount of fluid to reduce the effect of side effects associated with high ambient temperature. This is especially true for children, as they can be reduced perspiration during treatment with topiramate.
- In case you ever had a kidney stone. In that case, take more liquids. You should avoid taking medicines that can cause the formation of kidney stones or fatty foods low in carbohydrates, as this may increase the risk of forming kidney stones.
- If you experience sudden myopia and / or pain in the eyes should immediately contact your doctor. In many patients, this medicine can cause sudden glaucoma.
- If you notice any changes in mood, feeling depressed or have thoughts of harming yourself, you should immediately contact a doctor
- If you use the medicine for the prevention of migraine control your weight. If you notice a significant and lasting weight loss, please let your doctor. You may need treatment discontinuation.
This medicine can reduce the levels of bicarbonate in your blood and cause excessive acidity of the blood. This is especially true if you suffer from other diseases that makes you sensitive to lowered bicarbonate levels in the application of diets containing fats and proteins or taking other medicines. Usually, bicarbonate concentrations are reduced at the beginning of treatment. Your doctor may ask you to take a blood test to monitor the levels of bicarbonate in the blood.
There is only limited information on the use of this medicine in children under 12 years.
Small number of people being treated with antiepileptics such as toparamat have had thoughts of harming or killing themselves. If these occur, immediately contact your doctor.
Seek advice to your doctor before taking any medicine.
This medicine may harm your unborn child, but on the other hand, untreated epilepsy and severe seizures due to abrupt discontinuation of the drug may lead to more harm.
Your doctor will decide whether to continue, change or stop taking.
Your doctor may advise you to discontinue breastfeeding since topiramate is excreted in human milk.
Important information about some of the ingredients of Topilex
Topileks contains lactose. If you are told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, talk to him before you start treatment.
Topileks contain the colorant sunset yellow, which may cause allergic reactions.
HOW TO TAKE TOPILEX
The doctor prescribed a dose that is specific to you. Generally, treatment is initiated with a low dose and gradually increased in order to reduce the risk of side effects.
If you suffer from kidney or liver disease, your doctor may prescribe a lower dose and a long time to adjust the dose.
There are also other dosages of the medicinal product if it can not achieve the required dosage of this medicine.
Self-treatment of epilepsy with Topilex
Adults and adolescents over 12 years
treatment is usually started at a dose of 25 mg, taken once nightly for one week. Thereafter, the total daily dose was increased every week or every two weeks with 25 or 50 mg per day. in the case that mark the occurrence of side effects, the physician may increase the dose more slowly than usual or greater than the aforementioned intervals. The usual maintenance dose is 100 mg daily in two divided doses. Alone using this medicine for the treatment of epilepsy, the maximum daily dose is 400 mg.
Use in combination with other antiepileptic drugs
Adults and adolescents over 12 years
Treatment is usually started with a dose of 25-50 mg taken every night for 1 week. Thereafter, the total daily dose was increased every week or every two weeks with 25 or 50 mg per day. The usual daily dose is 200-400 mg in two divided doses. In some patients it is possible to achieve good control of the situation with a single dose. Some patients may require the maximum daily dose of 800 mg which is the highest strength and must not be exceeded.
When switching from treatment with other antiepileptic medicinal product therapy alone Topileks recommended a gradual reduction in the dose of other anti-epileptic drugs with a third week. In some cases, on the basis of a doctor's advice is possible dose Topileks be reduced.
Prophylaxis of migraine in adults
Your doctor will start with a dose of 25 mg, taken in the evening and then increase it to the lowest level that is needed to prevent repeated migraine attacks. The usual maintenance dose is 50 mg taken twice a day, but your doctor may advise you to use a lower dose.
Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you feel that the effect of Topileks is too strong or weak.
Method of administration
The active substance topiramate has a bitter taste. Therefore, the tablets should not be divided or crushed.
Take the tablets, regardless of meals, with sufficient liquid.
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Very common - fatigue, dizziness, drowsiness, nervousness, headache, nausea, weight loss, memory problems, loss of appetite, confusion, slowed thought processes, depression, concentration problems, anxiety, problems with coordination, double vision, visual disturbances , speech disorders
Common - anemia, bleeding from the nose, red or purple spots on the skin, decreased white blood cells or platelets, a sense of indifference, frustration, euphoria, agitation, anxious thoughts, decreased sexual interest, aggressive reactions, constipation, abdominal pain, alopecia, menstrual disorders, impotence, pain in the body and bones, insomnia.
Uncommon - hallucinations, personality disorders, suicidal thoughts, slow movements, slow thought processes and feelings, shortness of breath, diarrhea, vomiting and dry mouth, itching, inflammation of hair follicles.
Rare - elevation of liver enzymes, acute myopia due to glaucoma, eye pain, low neutrophil white blood cells.