FERRIPROX table. 500 mg. 100 tab
Ferriprox is a drug that removes excess iron from the body. The active substance is deferiprone.
Ferriprox is indicated for the treatment of iron overload in patients with thalassemia major when deferoxamine therapy is contraindicated or inadequate.
FERRIPROX table. 500 mg. 100 tab
Before you take Ferriprox
Do not take Feriproks:
- If you are allergic to deferiprone or any of the other ingredients of Feriproks
- If you have a history of repeated episodes of neutropenia
- If you have a history of agranulocytosis
- If you are currently taking medications that cause neutropenia or agranulocytosis,
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding
Take special care with Ferriprox:
- The most serious side effect that may occur while taking Feriproks is very low white blood cell count. This condition, known as severe neutropenia or agranulocytosis, has occurred in approximately 1 in 100 people who have taken Feriproks in clinical trials. Because the white blood cells help fight infection, a low neutrophil count can put you at risk of developing a serious and potentially life-threatening infection. To monitor for neutropenia, your doctor will ask you to make a regular weekly blood tests during the treatment Feriproks. Extremely important for you to keep this appointment.
Tell your doctor any symptoms of infection such as fever, sore throat or flu-like symptoms.
- If you are HIV positive or have impaired kidney or liver function, your doctor may recommend additional tests.
Taking other medicines:
Do not take medicines known to cause neutropenia or agranulocytosis.
Do not take antacids containing aluminum, while taking Ferriprox.
Please consult your doctor before taking vitamin C Ferriprox.
Pregnancy and lactation:
Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant. This medicine may seriously harm your baby. You must use effective contraception while taking Feriproks. If you become pregnant while taking Feriproks immediately stop taking the medicine and tell your doctor. Feriproks Do not use if you are breastfeeding.
Driving and using machines:
No studies on the effects on ability to drive and use machines.
How to take Ferriprox?
Ferriprox amount that you take will depend on your body weight. The usual dose is 25 mg / kg, 3 times a day to achieve a total daily dose of 75 mg / kg / day. The total daily dose should not exceed 100 mg / kg / day. Take your first dose in the morning, the second dose at noon, and the third dose in the evening. Feriproks can be taken with or without food. However, you may find it easier to remember if you take Feriproks when you eat.
Possible side effects:
The most serious adverse reaction Feriproks a sharp decline in the number of white blood cells. This condition, known as severe neutropenia and agranulocytosis, occurs in at least 2 out of 100 people taking Feriproks in clinical studies. The reduction of white blood cells can be associated with a serious and potentially life-threatening infection. Tell your doctor about any symptoms of infection such as fever, sore throat or flu-like symptoms.
Very common - abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, reddish / brownish urine.
If you experience nausea or vomiting adoption of Feriproks with little food can help. The color of the urine is a very common reaction and is not dangerous.
Common - low white blood cell count, headache, diarrhea, fatigue, increased appetite, increased liver enzymes.
There was some pain and swelling ranged from mild pain in one or more joints to severe disability. In most cases, pain disappeared while patients continued to receive Feriproks.
After the placing of Ferriprox, neurological disorders have been reported in children who had been voluntarily prescribed more than double the dose of the maximum recommended dose of 100 mg / kg / day for several years. They recovered from these symptoms after discontinuation of Feriproks.
What does Feriproks?
The active substance is deferiprone. Each tablet contains 500 mg deferiprone.
Other ingredients are:
Tablet core: microcrystalline cellulose, magnesium stearate, colloidal silicon dioxide.
Coating: hypromellose, macrogol, titanium dioxide.