ALKA Seltzer. 20 tablets
ALKA Seltzer. 20 tablets
The active ingredient is aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid). An effervescent tablet contains 324 mg of acetylsalicylic acid.
Other excipients are: citric acid , sodium bicarbonate , povidone 25 dimethicone , calcium silicate , sodium docusate , sodium benzoate , sodium saccharin , flavorings . Contains 445 mg sodium.
Pharmaceutical form and content : Alka-Seltzer comes in packs of 12 (N1) or 24 (N2) effervescent tablets.
1. What is Alka-Seltzer and what it is used?
Alka-Seltzer is an analgesic , antipyretic and anti-inflammatory drug ( non- steroidal anti-inflammatory / analgesic ) .
Alka-Seltzer is indicated for the treatment of:
- Mild to moderate pain
- Fever .
In children , please refer to Part 2 .
2 . What you should know before taking Alka-Seltzer?
Alka-Seltzer should not be used :
- If you are hypersensitive (allergic) to acetylsalicylic acid or other ingredients in Alka-Seltzer;
- If you have a history of hypersensitivity reaction to salicylates or other NSAIDs with an asthma attack or similar attacks ;
- Other ingredients in Alka-Seltzer;
- If you have active ulcers of the stomach or duodenum ;
- If you have abnormal bleeding disorder ;
- If you have liver or kidney failure; - if you have severe , unstable heart failure ;
- If you take both methotrexate at doses of 15 mg or more per week ;
- During the first and last trimester of pregnancy .
Particular care is needed when using Alka-Seltzer
- If you are hypersensitive other antiinflammatory / antirheumatic drugs or other allergenic substances ;
- If you are allergic (eg skin reactions , pruritus, rash) or have asthma , hay fever, nasal polyps , chronic infections of the respiratory system;
- If you are currently being treated with anticoagulants ;
- If you have a stomach ulcer or duodenal ulcer or a history of gastrointestinal bleeding ;
- If you have impaired liver or kidney function;
- Before surgery (including small operations, such as tooth extraction ) ;
What precautions should be taken ?
Continuous consumption of analgesics may cause headache , which , if treated with more analgesics, may pass in a constant headaches. The continuous use of analgesics can lead to permanent damage of the kidney with renal failure risk ( analgesic nephropathy) . The risk is particularly high when using several analgesics simultaneously. In low-dose acetylsalicylic acid can reduce the excretion of uric acid . This can cause an attack of gout in predisposed patients.
Alka-Seltzer should not be taken by children or adolescents under conditions of high temperature, unless recommended by a doctor or other therapeutic measures are not successful . Prolonged vomiting in connection with these diseases may be a sign of the syndrome Rey, a very rare but life-threatening disease that requires immediate medical treatment.
Alka-Seltzer should not be taken during the first and last trimester of pregnancy. Consult your doctor before taking Alka-Seltzer in the second three months of pregnancy.
It is not necessary to interrupt the feeding of short-term use of the recommended doses .
Driving and using machines
No special measures required .
Important safeguard for certain ingredients of Alka-Seltzer
Patients on a low sodium content must be aware of the sodium content in this medicine (see section 3 ) . Sodium benzoate contained in this medicine may cause hypersensitivity reactions , such as inflammation of the skin and mucous membranes in predisposed patients. The use of this drug in the newborn is associated with an increased risk of jaundice .
Interaction with other medicinal products
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking / using other medicines or have taken / used any other medicines moment, even if they are non-prescription medicines . Effects of drugs or groups of substances listed below may be influenced by concomitant treatment with Alka-Seltzer.
Enhanced effects , resulting in an increased risk of side effects:
- Anticoagulants , e. coumarin , heparin, acetylsalicylic acid may increase the risk of bleeding if taken before thrombolytic therapy . Therefore, you should take note of the symptoms of internal or external bleeding ( eg, after trauma ) if you are subjected to such treatment.
- Platelet aggregation inhibitors ( drugs that inhibit aggregation of blood platelets ), eg . ticlopidine ;
- Medicines containing cortisone or cortisone -like substance ( with the exception of products which are applied topically or cortisone used for replacement therapy in Addison's disease), alcohol consumption , or increased risk of gastrointestinal ulcers or bleeding ;
- Other non-steroidal analgesic / anti-inflammatory and Alka-Seltzer in doses of 3 g acetylsalicylic acid (equivalent to 9 effervescent tablets) a day or more ;
- Digiksin (a medicine that increases the contraction of the heart muscle ) ;
- Antidiabetic (medicines to lower blood sugar) ;
- Methotrexate ( a drug for the treatment of cancer and certain rheumatic disorders) ;
- Valproic acid (medicine to treat seizures) .
Weakening effects :
- Diuretics ( drugs that increase the excretion of urine) and Alka-Seltzer , at doses of 3 g of acetylsalicylic acid (equivalent to 9 effervescent
- ACE inhibitors (a group of drugs that lower blood pressure) and Alka-Seltzer in doses of 3 g acetylsalicylic acid (equivalent to 9 effervescent tablets) per day or more;
- Medicines for gout that enhance the excretion of uric acid (eg, probenecid , benzbromarone ) .
3 . How should I take Alka-Seltzer?
Alka-Seltzer should always be taken exactly as written in the SPC . Please consult your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure how to take the medicine . Dissolve two effervescent tablets in a lot of water . Do not take Alka-Seltzer on an empty stomach . For patients with a diet low in sodium 1 effervescent tablet contains 445 mg of sodium.
A single dose may be administered at intervals of 4 to 8 hours as needed , up to a maximum of 3 doses per day .
Do not take Alka-Seltzer longer than four days without consulting a doctor or dentist .
4 . What side effects may occur after taking Alka-Seltzer?
Like all medicines Alka-Seltzer can have side effects. The following undesirable effects cover all reported adverse reactions after treatment with acetylsalicylic acid, including those with prolonged use of high doses in the treatment of patients with rheumatic fever. Frequencies that are outside the category of the pockets are based on the short-term use of daily doses of up to 3 g of acetylsalicylic acid ( equivalent to a maximum of 9 effervescent tablets )
Rare gastrointestinal disorders such as heartburn, nausea , vomiting, abdominal pain. Gastrointestinal bleeding , which in rare cases can cause iron deficiency anemia. If you have black stools or vomiting of blood ( signs of serious bleeding in the stomach) , you should tell your doctor. Gastrointestinal bleeding can in rare cases lead to perforation. Very rare: reported elevated liver enzymes.
Headache, dizziness, impaired ability of hearing , tinnitus can be symptoms of overdose.
Blood and lymphatic system
Bleeding such as bleeding from the nose or bleeding gums , as regards extension of the clotting time . This effect lasts 4 to 8 days after use of the drug.
Hypersensitivity reactions :
Common: Hypersensitivity reactions such as skin reactions.
Rare: Hypersensitivity reactions such as seizures shortness of breath, severe skin reactions ( erythema ranging to exudativum multiforme) , it is possible to lower blood pressure , swelling of the face, tongue and larynx (angioedema ), especially in asthmatics . If you have any of the above mentioned side effects , do not take more Alka-Seltzer. Tell your doctor can determine the severity of the side effects and decide on further treatment.
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you observe any side effects not listed in this leaflet.
5 . How should I store Alka-Seltzer?
Do not store above 25 ° C. Keep out of reach of children.
The shelf life of this product is stated on the packaging .
Do not use after expiry date .